Saturday, July 14, 2012

Catching up!


Monday 6/18

Monday, I worked in the morning and then went to the Louvre in the afternoon, where I spent four hours! I arrived at noon, because I read that the lines were bad in the morning. This did not mean, however, they were good in the afternoon.

The first thing I noticed was that a labor union was holding a massive protest in the space to the right of the area under the pyramid. They were making so much noise that originally I thought that some precious item had been stolen from the Louvre and all the alarms were going off…either that or they were attempting to launch the Sixth Republic.

I used Rick Steve’s “Louvre Tour” in his Paris guidebook, which gives you all the highlights. I knew that given how big the Louvre is, you need some kind of guidance or you will feel completely overwhelmed by all the choices. What stood out to me most was the Winged Victory (Steves said that the way her clothing was plastered to her made her look like she was in a wet wet swimsuit contest) and Venus de Milo (Steves said that when he tries to imagine what she was doing with her missing arm, he supposes she was picking her navel). What’s so amazing about the sculpture is how lifelike the artists make the muscles, the texture of hair and the folds in the statues clothing. The Renaissance section was my favorite. I love the bright reds and blues that are used. I also realized how much we take perspective, like drawing far away objects as smaller and nearer objects as bigger, for granted. Steves points out that this style of painting did not really exist in medieval art. Giotto’s Saint Francis of Assissi painting stands out in that it starts to show some geometrical perspective in the buildings and Francis’ face does not look flat and expressionless like the faces in medieval paintings. Steve’s made another funny comment on Paolo Verona’s painting The Wedding at Cana: the atmosphere is getting pretty raucous, so “Jesus is wondering if he should have ordered wine coolers.”

I also loved the seeing the crown jewels on display, which belonged to Duchess Anne of Brittany. Also on display were in the same room were jeweled dishes with amazing detail. I tried to get some good pictures, but unfortunately they were behind glass.

Walking through the Louvre, seeing the sheer size of it and the opulence of the French royalty’s accommodations is shocking. No wonder there was a Revolution! Good thing the labor union protesting under the pyramid was trying to keep that tradition alive.

After about three hours of looking at paintings and sculptures, I stopped in a café and ordered a vanilla milkshake with honey in it—and interesting combination that I had never thought of—very good!

After I finished that, I went to a special exhibit on Leonardo Davinci’s The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne. The Louvre has just finished restoring this painting, and the exhibition also showed many of Davinci’s preliminary sketches before actually doing the painting. For example, originally, he had Christ playing with St. John the Baptist but later took out St. John the Baptist and put in a lamb to symbolize Christ’s passion. Mary leans forward, sort of trying to restrain Jesus from playing with the lamb (or try to prevent his future crucifixion) while Saint Anne has a look of serene acceptance on her face.

There were different random sketches he had done of the tree for the background, of the baby Jesus’ leg, or of Mary’s veil. At one point, had the three of them turn towards the left, and then he reversed them and turned them towards the right. The work was actually unfinished at his death.
The exhibit also had paintings on the same theme by Delacroix and Edgar Degas to show the influence of Davinci’s work.

I returned home from the Louvre, sat down for a few minutes, and then decided to go jogging in the Parc Monceau. Tiphaine thinks I am crazy for running several days per week and said in mock amazement “C’est pas vrai! Tu as la force de faire ca maintenant?” (“It’s not true! You have the strength to do that right now?”)

I teased her, “Bien sur que j’ai la force…je suis americaine!” (“Well, of course I have the strength…I’m American.”)

“Rappelle-toi,” she replied, “que c’etaient les europeens qui ont decouvert l’Amerique.”  (“Just remember,” she said, “it was Europeans who discovered America.”)

“Tiphaine, t’as raison, c’etait les espagnols, ce que tu aimes beaucoup.” (“You’re right Tiphaine, it was the Spanish…your favorite.”)

She reached up and patted her hand against her mouth in a mock Indian/Native American/Amerindian (pick your preferred nomenclature) war-call. I started laughing and warned her never to do that in the United States, especially in academic, politically correct circles (but that with me, it was totally okay, given when I was a little kid in Montana, my cousins and I had a teepee to play in and headdresses with neon feathers, and used to play settlers and Indians).
Then I started telling her about how many white American families have either a story, or sometimes a legend of Indian ancestry in their past. “C’est parce que les europeens pauvres ont quitte l’Europe a cause du American Dream,” she said, saying the last two words in English. (“That’s because poor Europeans left Europe for the American Dream.”)

Tuesday 6/19

Tuesday evening, we attended a gala for one of Tiphaine’s friends who had just graduated from dental school. Dental school is six years, because, like most professional schools in Europe it’s an integrated part of their undergraduate degree. There was champagne and appetizers, followed by Indian food for dinner. It was a masked party, so everyone had a mardi-gras type mask. During dinner, we watched home videos that their graduating class had made. Unfortunately, the videos were only funny to the people in their graduating class who were in on all the jokes. They did some kind of mock ad for the brand of “bain de bouche” that the pharmacist had prescribed to me a few days earlier.

I met one of Tif’s friends named Theo, and his girlfriend. He immediately asked if I was Scandinavian because of my accent and of course my name. It turns out that his mother was Danish and his father French. He wanted to practice speaking English with me. He spoke it well because he said that until he was twelve, he didn’t know any Danish, so when he got together with his mother’s family, he would talk with them in English. Theo worked for the Socialist party in Francois Hollande’s campaign. His claim to fame was that he appeared for 30 seconds in a TV ad for Holland during the campaign. An interesting fact I learned from him was that Holland had hired some advisors from Obama’s 2008 campaign. Holland’s motto, for example, was “Le change, c’est maintenant” (“Change is now.”). I knew this was Holland’s slogan from a joke that Tiphaine and Marine were making a few weeks ago—Tiphaine wanted Marine to fix the montagne/Mireille Mathieu haircut that she didn’t like, but Marine had to go soon, so she said “Il faut que je le fasse maintenant… ‘Le change, c’est maintenant.’ (“I have to do it now. ‘Change is now.’”) They started laughing and explained to me that it was Holland’s slogan. I remember thinking that it sounded a lot like Obama’s “Hope for change,” so it was interesting finally learn why that was the case! Politics is his life, so he immediately wanted to know my political orientation. I told him and jokingly asked him if I could still sit next to him at the dinner table. “It’s okay,” he said, “my girlfriend voted for Sarkozy but now she’s changed.”

Wednesday 6/20

On this day, Tiphaine’s little niece Agathe (five years old) had appendicitis, so Diane (three years old) was with us for the day. When I met Diane, she asked Marine if I was a boy or a girl, and Marine assured her that I was a girl. Whenever you learn a second language, it’s always fascinating to hear a small child speak it so naturally. They called her affectionate names like “ma petite Didi,” “Dianouche,” “Ma Petite Cherie” et “ma Dianouchia.”

That afternoon, she slept for most of the afternoon and ended up wetting herself while sleeping. She had slept in Yseult’s (her grandmother’s) bed, and when Yseult got home from work that night and asked what she had done that day, Diane responded “J’ai fait un tout petit peu de pipi dans ton lit…mais c’etait pas grave” (“I peed a just a little bit in your bed…but it’s no big deal”). Since Diane didn’t have other clothes there, Tiphaine’s solution was to hang the underwear out to dry in the bathroom and then put them back on her inside out as a “clean” pair.

The doctors didn’t end up operating on Agathe until late that night. Apparently they had to run a bunch of tests to make sure that it was appendicitis. The poor thing had been tired for the past few days, had excruciating pain and that morning was unable to walk, which was when they knew it was something serious. But given that her parents had taken her to the hospital early in the morning, it surprised me that it took twelve hours for the doctors to run the tests, confirm that it was appendicitis and begin the operation. I don’t know anything about appendicitis, but I was under the impression that you need to operate quickly before the appendix ruptures.

Thursday 6/21

I completed a legal translation project. It was extremely dry, considering it involved France’s Tax Code.

That evening, we went out to Montmartes with Tiphaine’s friend Priscilla and her friends for the annual “Fete de la Musique.” As the name indicates, the Montmartres area (directly below the basilica of Sacre Coeur) is filled with a new band on every block. The streets are packed with people and cars can barely drive through. All the restaurants stay open; some people barbeque in the streets. One grill was creating so much smoke that I thought it was another Revolution. Priscilla, Tiphaine and I went into a little wine bar. There was a distinct smell to it and Priscilla apologized for the odor and assured me that the wine and food were great. We each got a glass of wine and the proprietor said we could take our wine glasses into the street and even gave us a little plate of cheese to take with us. 

We rejoined Priscilla’s friends, leaned against a random parked car in the midst of the throng, set our plate of cheese on the hood and enjoyed the wine and music. Later we wandered around to hear a few other bands. At one point, when the crowd got really dense, Priscilla grabbed my hand so as not to get separated and said “Ca va? Tu vis Paris!” (“How are you doing? [she was referencing the face that I might not be used to the swarms of people] You’re living Paris!” Tiphaine and I caught the last Metro stop back home—just in time (I had made us stop for an ice cream shortly before heading home).

Friday 6/22

Friday was a packed day. One could definitely say that I “overbooked” myself. I had a translation project due at noon, so I finished that in the morning. Then, I ate lunch with Gina Forno, an old Italian friend of my Aunt Berit’s father-in-law. As I’ve mentioned before, her father-in-law, Andre, grew up in Italy and fought in the Italian Resistance before living in Paris for a few years and then moving to the United States. Andre knew Gina and her husband from his time in Paris.

Like Andre, Gina grew up in Italy but as been in Paris for 68 years (she’s 89 now). Her husband has been deceased for at least two decades. She has no children. She’s a very sweet woman. I had some trouble finding her apartment and made a frustrating attempt to call her for clarification on the directions, but I had trouble understanding her Italian accent in French and she’s quite deaf, so that was an interesting call. I finally managed to find the apartment, not far from the Gare de l’Est, where she greeted warmly, clasping both my hands in hers and pouring me a glass of port!

She took me to a restaurant with food from Strasbourg not far from her apartment. I naturally was just going to get something “simple” but she wanted me to get an entrée (appetizer), main dish and dessert. She also ordered a carafe of white wine and a carafe of water. Supposedly, she just got half a carafe of white wine, but it was enough for each of us to drink about four glasses of it over the course of lunch.

For the appetizer, I ordered foie gras. I mentioned in a previous entry that this is considered a delicacy in France, yet it’s a very bizarre concept. For example, it’s meat (ground liver), but it has a sweet taste. It’s even served with bread and jelly to complement it! The reason it is sweet, as I learned that night, is because the goose is force-fed through a funnel until its liver enlarges to several times its normal size (sometimes it bursts). Since the liver stores carbohydrates (sugar), that is why it tastes so sweet. Meanwhile, Gina had escargot.

Then came the main course. Gina got sausage and “choucroute” (sauerkraut), since that is a popular dish in Strasbourg. I got salmon and raviolis with goat cheese inside.

You wouldn’t think that we had any room left in our stomachs, but finally, at the end came the best part: dessert. Gina had two “boules” (scoops) of sorbet, and I had “gateaux moelleux au chocolat.” “Moelleux” means soft, and it is related to the word “moelle” (“marrow”—I learned this word from writing to my host mother from Rennes about my own mother’s bone marrow transplant a few years ago—of course I didn’t know the term and had to look it up). So, if you have a “gateaux moelleux au chocolat,” you have chocolate cake with marrow, or soft stuff inside—warm, gooey chocolate sauce. There was also a scoop of vanilla ice cream and raspberry and mango sauce drizzled over it.

I got to update Gina on Andre’s family (aunt, uncle and two cousins). I told her that “Jean” (my cousin Gian, the Italian spelling of John) is his third year of university and studies physics and that “Mikael” (mee-ka-ale, my cousin Michael) just graduated from high school will be starting university this fall, my uncle “Pierre” (Peter) is a heart surgeon in South Dakota and my aunt Berit (sorry, no French version of this Norwegian name) volunteers with their “grande caniche noir” (large black poodle). Gina always referred to Andre, my aunt’s father-in-law, as “Andreone.”
After lunch I had to help her up from her seat and she hung onto my arm as we walked home. As she explained it “after I’ve been sitting for a while I feel sort of off balance,” but I think it was probably the several glasses of wine we had that did it! J She’s a remarkable woman. She was hanging onto me with one arm, and used her cane with the other. She was also telling me that she can only see out of one eye now, and was very upfront up about the fact that she has trouble hearing. But she’s incredible mentally sharp!

We returned to her apartment for an espresso after lunch (French people often have an espresso after lunch). After a quick scare during which she couldn’t find her keys and thought she lost them (fortunately she hadn’t), we entered the building. It was so sweet—in the elevator on the way up to her apartment, she took a lock of my hair in her hands, looked at me, nodded her head and said “Oui, vous etes belle.” (“Yes, you’re beautiful.”) I certainly was not expecting this out of my 89-year-old friend’s mouth. The last time I had heard anything like this was when I was sitting on a bench outside of the Porte d’Auteuil metro stop near Roland Garros and a guy walked up to me with a flower he had picked, handed it to me and said “Pour ta beaute” (For your beauty.”) He didn’t ask for my number or anything like that—just wanted to give me a flower I guess! Anyway, moving on…

Gina’s apartment has several beautiful paintings, a glass case with a collection of china owls and a balcony with a view of Sacre Coeur in one direction and the Eiffel tower in the other. We had an espresso and then I left.

I didn’t stop at home for very long, because I had a dinner date with my cousin Elisabeth and her boyfriend Jonathan at Elisabeth’s place in Antony. We had salad and pasta with sautéed chicken and tomatoes. Elisabeth and I each have a small notebook where we keep a word list of new words we learn. For her, these are new words that she learns when she reads in English, and for me, they are new words that I hear in French. Usually, they are “argot” (slang). You see, French isn’t one language; it’s actually three. First of all, there’s the academic French you learn in college courses when you read literature and listen to your professor lecture about it. This is pretty much useless for anything outside of sitting in a classroom.

Then there’s the everyday type of vocabulary that you need to know for around the house and functioning in everyday life, such as going to the bank, store, etc.

Finally, there’s “argot” or “langage familier,” which is yet another language until itself. If you don’t know some of these words, you miss out on a lot of what your peer group is saying. Elisabeth and Jonathan helped me update my argot list. Jonathan knows the origins of a lot of words, and he told me that one slang word, “kiffer” (= to like) actually comes from Arabic and the culture of the “banlieu” (or Parisian suburbs, where a lot of Arab and North African immigrants live). Another interesting conversation was the expression “tu me gaves.” It means “You’re wearing me out” or “I’m sick of it.” I learned that the verb “gaver” means to force-feed. It is what you do to a goose to make the liver enlarge and get foie gras.

 Then, in addition to the French words in argot, there are English words that French people slip into conversation. As Tiphaine says “Ca fait tres style,” or “It’s very fashionable” to throw English words into your conversation. For example, the other day, we were talking about Amy Winehouse’s overdose, and in the middle of a French sentence, Tiphaine said the word “overdose” in English. I asked how you say that in French, and she said “Well, I’m sure that’s a French word (‘dose’ actually is the same in French and in English)” I had to break the word apart into its components and show her that “over” is an English word. Since there’s no single French word describing what it means to take too many drugs, they simply say “overdose.” Of course, ever since even junior high French class, I’ve known that there are certain words that French people borrow in English because the concept itself is American (“hotdog,” “hamburger,” “babysitting”). During this stay, I’ve notice other English words that are creeping into the French language: “planning,” “meeting,” “non-event,” “date” (in the sense of a man and a woman going out), “business” “lobbying,” “consulting,” “cash advance,” “networking,” “strip club,” etc.
 Actually, when I go running, there’s a song on the radio that illustrates the influence that English and Arabic have on current spoken language in France: one of the lines is “J’espere etre the future king, inshallah.” We have “j’espere etre” in French (“I hope to be”), “the future king” in English and then in “inshallah” in Arabic, which I think means something like “if God wills it.”
There’s a special sort of argot called “verlan.” It’s “envers” (“reverse” or “opposite” spelled backwards), and there are certain words you say backwards. For example, we have “meuf” or “woman” (the transliteration of “femme,” or woman). Then there’s the curious example of “keuf,” the ghetto word for “police.” The funny thing is that it’s not even the backwards version of a French word, it’s the backwards version of what the f-word in English sounds like to a French person: feuk=keuf=police. I know, not a whole lot of logic here…it’s like a secret code!

 I got home at about 12:30 from Antony, and then I had a social engagement in the United States. How did I make it to the United States so quickly, you might ask? Through the miracle of Skype, I got to catch up with friends Anna and Tami in the United States and hear all the news from the “Villes Jumelles” (“Twin Cities”). By the time we finished, it was 2:00 am, and I still had to pack…I was leaving for Zurich the next morning for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment